Biographical Note

Historical Background

Arrangement

Scope and Content

Restrictions on Access

Restrictions on Use

Acquisition Info

Processing Info

Bibliography

Inventory   [ + ]

Subject Terms


Guide to the Carsten Lien Olympic National Park Photograph Collection



PH Collection No.: 711
Creator: Lien, Carsten , collector
Title: Carsten Lien Olympic National Park photograph collection
Date Span: 1941-1982
Quantity: 191 negatives (2 boxes)
48 slides and 21 prints (1 box)
Location: K196 (box 1)
HN1539 (boxes 2-3)
Languages: Collection materials are in English.
Deer Park Ski Lodge, 1948. Photo: Carsten Lien. Special Collections, UW Libraries, UW25931z

Funding for encoding this finding aid was partially provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.



Biographical Note

Carsten Lien is a photographer and historian whose research focuses on the Olympic Peninsula and Pacific Northwest. His published works include Olympic Battleground: The Power Politics of Timber Preservation (San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1991), and Exploring the Olympic Mountains: Accounts of the Earliest Expeditions 1878-1890 (Seattle: The Mountaineers Books, 2001).

Historical Background

Federal management of forest land on Washington State's Olympic Peninsula began in 1897 when President Grover Cleveland issued a proclamation creating the Olympic Forest Reserve. Cleveland's proclamation mandated protection of 2,188,800 acres from settlement and development activities on the Olympic Peninsula. As a precursor to later debates regarding public land management, President William McKinley subsequently reduced acreage in the Olympic Forest Reserve by nearly 700,000 acres in 1900 and 1901 under pressure from timber companies and development advocates. In 1907, the Olympic Forest Reserve became known as the Olympic National Forest as part of the Forest Service's reorganization into the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Concurrent with the rise of environmentalism in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, President Theodore Roosevelt established Mount Olympus National Monument in 1909 to help preserve forest and grazing areas for the Olympic Peninsula's native elk population. Mount Olympus National Monument originally included 610,560 acres, however, President Woodrow Wilson reduced the Monument by nearly 50% in 1915 in response to increasing demands for timber and mining resources. In 1938, President Franklin D. Roosevelt officially established Olympic National Park as a protected area under control of the U.S. Department of Interior's National Park Service. In the 1940s and 1950s, management of Olympic National Park became a topic of intense political debate between environmentalists and timber industry advocates. The National Park Service authorized controversial logging operations in Olympic National Park in 1955 and 1956, and debate regarding development in and resource management of public lands remains ongoing and highly contested.

Olympic National Park became an International Biosphere Reserve in 1976, and in 1981 earned distinction as a World Heritage Site. Environmental protection of Olympic National Park increased further in 1988, when nearly 95% of the Park received designation as a federal Wilderness Area. As of 2005, Olympic National Park encompasses 922,651 acres and receives nearly 3 million annual visitors. Olympic National Park is largely surrounded by the Olympic National Forest, which contains an additional 633,677 acres of federally-managed land and receives 455,900 annual visitors.

Arrangement

The collection is organized based on the collector's original order.

Scope and Content

The collection contains images related to the political history, environmental protection, and public management of Olympic National Park and the Olympic National Forest. Special emphasis is placed on development activities, logging operations, and environmental activism in the 1940s and 1950s. Included are photographs by Neil Mortiboy used in a 1941 report entitled Sitka Spruce in Olympic National Park, photographs by Carsten Lien of historic buildings and lookouts in Olympic National Park, portraits of Emergency Conservation Committee members, photographs of logging operations in and around Olympic National Park, photographs of prominent National Park Service administrators, copies of related materials such as political cartoons, boundary maps, and newspaper advertisements, and copies of newspaper articles from The Seattle Press about the Press Expedition of 1889-1890 and the Conrad-Olmstead Party of 1890. This collection also contains images presenting the relationship between Mount Rainier National Park and Olympic National Park.

Restrictions on Access

The collection is open to the public.

Restrictions on Use

Restrictions might exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact the repository for details.

Acquisition Info

Donor: Carsten Lien, 2003.

Processing Info

Processed by Anna Siedzik, 2005.

Carsten Lien included detailed notations about the collection that provide political and historical context for the images presented. The finding aid contains most of these notations, however, some minor information (e.g. original negative numbers) is not included. A verbatim transcription of Lien's notes is available on request.

Bibliography

Lien, Carsten. Exploring the Olympic Mountains: Accounts of the Earliest Expeditions, 1878-1890. Seattle: The Mountaineers Books, 2001.

Lien, Carsten. Olympic Battleground: The Power Politics of Timber Preservation. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1991.

Overly, Fred. Sitka Spruce in Olympic National Park. Washington, D.C.: National Park Service, 1941.


Inventory

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Sitka Spruce in Olympic National ParkMarch-May 1941

Photographer: Neil Mortiboy
This series contains photographs used in the 1941 report Sitka Spruce in Olympic National Park. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
1/11Spruce root formation near Harlow Creek on the Queets RiverApril 1941
"The roots of these two trees extend above ground for a distance of over forty feet."
2Spruce trees three and a half miles up the South Fork Hoh River TrailApril 1941
"These trees apparently rooted on an old log."
3Moss covered spruce tree branches near the Queets RiverApril 1941
4Spruce trees near Flat Bottom Shelter on the South Fork Hoh RiverApril 1941
"Spruce trees standing on stilts. The small tree in the center is a hemlock."
5Spruce tree near the Queets RiverApril 1941
"This huge spruce tree apparently took root on an old stump. The stilted roots have since grown together."
6Douglas fir stand half a mile up the South Fork Hoh River TrailApril 1941
"Very good quality Douglas fir stand. Note the clear boles and the absence of underbrush."
7Alder thicket near Smoke House Bottom on the Queets RiverApril 1941
8Forest containing some spruce trees near Indian Pass Trail crossing the Calawah ValleyMay 1941
9Sitka spruce stand one mile above Flat Bottom Shelter on the South Fork Hoh RiverApril 1941
"Heavy stand of Sitka spruce. Note the absence of underbrush. This stand is much higher than average commercial quality."
10Spruce trees near the junction of the Hoh River and the South Fork Hoh RiverApril 1941
½11Spruce and maple trees on the Queets River four and a half miles outside the Olympic National Park boundaryApril 1941
12Spruce trees on the Queets River Trail one mile inside the Olympic National Park boundaryApril 1941
"Trail has been widened so that a wagon can be taken over it in favorable weather."
13Spruce trees three miles up the Queets River Trail inside the Olympic National Park boundaryApril 1941
"Huge spruce trees."
14Spruce stand on the Hoh River two and a half miles below the Hoh Ranger StationMarch 1941
"Typical spruce stand. Note the poor pruning which is characteristic of spruce."
15Forest on the Hoh River near the Hoh Ranger StationMarch 1941
"Tree with abnormal top is a Douglas fir."
16Spruce forest on the Hoh River two miles below the Hoh Ranger StationMarch 1941
"These trees are of average quality."
17Spruce stand near the sixteen mile post on the Hoh River RoadMarch 1941
"These four trees evidently took root on an old log."
18Spruce forest near the Queets River four and a half miles inside the Olympic National Park boundaryApril 1941
"Old spruce forest on a bench above the Queets River."
19Moss draped maple trees on the Queets River Trail three and a half miles below Harlow CreekApril 1941
20-21Spruce forest on the South Fork Hoh River one mile above Flat Bottom ShelterApril 1941
"Note the young spruce on the bench in the foreground."
1/322Mixed forest on the Hoh River Trail one and a half miles above the Hoh Ranger StationMarch 1941
"Young spruce, cottonwood, and occasional hemlock."
23Fallen spruce tree on the Hoh River two miles below the Hoh Ranger StationMarch 1941
"A huge spruce tree felled by the wind. The tree was split in falling and revealed extensive rot."
24Maple and spruce trees on the Hoh River half a mile above the Hoh Ranger StationMarch 1941
25Spruce trees one mile above Flat Bottom Shelter on the South Fork Hoh RiverApril 1941
"The tree at the right appears to be of very good quality."
26Sitka spruce stand on Washington State land three miles up the South Fork Hoh River TrailApril 1941
"It is felt that timber on state land should be logged before consideration is given to logging on park lands."
27Spruce forest on the Hoh River Road one mile inside the Olympic National Park boundaryMarch 1941
"The limby condition of the trees makes them of little commercial value."
28Elevated spruce tree rootsMarch 1941
"Elevated spruce roots after parent log has rotted away."
29Spruce and vine maple trees on the South Fork Hoh River one and a half miles above Flat Bottom ShelterApril 1941
30Spruce trees on the South Fork Hoh River three quarters of a mile above Flat Bottom ShelterApril 1941
"Young and vigorously growing spruce trees. Branches actually reach the ground on the tree to the right."
1/431Spruce forest on the Bogachiel River just outside the Olympic National Park boundaryMay 1941
"Note the heavy growth of sword ferns."
32Spruce grove near the Bogachiel Guard StationMay 1941
33Spruce and hemlock trees near Bogachiel Guard StationMay 1941
"Decadent stand of spruce with hemlock and spruce coming in."
34Forest near Smoke House Bottom on the Queets RiverApril 1941
35Hardwood flat on the Queets River three quarters of a mile inside the Olympic National Park boundaryApril 1941
36View of the Queets River Valley near the junction of the Queets River and the Sams RiverApril 1941
"Looking up the Queets River Valley. Sams River joins the Queets just around the bend of the River to the right. Park boundary crosses flat in the foreground."
37Junction of the Hoh River and the South Fork Hoh RiverMarch 1941
"Hoh River inside Park boundary. South Fork Valley at the right and the two rivers join in the center of the picture. Note that river has washed out the road at the left. Note abundance of alder and cottonwood. Forest beyond that is the spruce type."
38Spruce forest on the Bogachiel River half a mile up from the Olympic National Park boundaryMay 1941
"This is on private land - part of the nine sections excluded from the Park."
39Spruce forest on the Bogachiel River two miles up from the Olympic National Park boundaryMay 1941
"Note the two elk crossing the river."
40Logging on Soleduck RoadMarch 10, 1941
41 Spruce stump on Hoh River five or six miles from U.S. 101March 1941
"Huge spruce stump, 9 feet in diameter at the cut. 280 annual rings at the cut. Hoh River above T.R.H. Schmitt Ranch."
42Area of blown down trees on the Hoh River Road inside the Olympic National Park boundaryMarch 1941
"Mostly Douglas fir, hemlock, and spruce are also present."

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Lookouts and Historic Structures in and around Olympic National Park1948-1956

Photographer: Carsten Lien
The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
1/543-44Jo and Jasper Bunch, Quinault Pioneers1948
"The Bunch family homesteaded in the Lake Quinault region in the 1890s and left names such as Bunch Lake, Bunch Creek. Their ranch ended up inside the boundaries of Olympic National Park after the additions of 1940. It has since been acquired by the Park Service for addition to the Park."
45Pyramid Peak Lookout near Lake Crescent1954
"WWII air raid warning lookout, Lake Crescent. No other photograph of this now long gone building is known to exist."
46Lookout on Geodetic Hill1954
"WWII air raid warning lookout on top of Geodetic Hill, on the divide the Bogachiel and the Hoh. No other photograph of this now long gone building is know to exist."
47Mt. Walker Lookout near Hood Canal1954
48Bogachiel Peak Lookout1956
"Vandalism on Bogachiel Peak. No longer exists."
49Deer Park Lookout1948
"No longer exists."
50North Point Lookout near Soleduck Valley1954
"No longer exists."
51Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley1954
"No longer exists."
52View from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley1954
53View toward Mt. Olympus from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley1954
54View from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley1954
55View toward Mt. Olympus from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley1954
56-57Fall Shelter on Greywolf Trail1956
58Three Prune Shelter in the Quinault Valley1956
"No longer exists."
59Camp Riley Shelter near the headwaters of the South Fork Skokomish River1948
"No longer exists."
60Storm King Inn on Lake Crescent after its conversion to a Visitor's Center1955
"No longer exists."
61Rosemary Inn on Lake Crescent1955
"Has been greatly modified as it was later converted into an educational center. Historic appearance is a rarity."
62Lake Crescent Lodge1954
"This is its historic appearance before it was modified by the addition of more rooms."
63-64Lake Crescent Ranger Station1954
"No longer exists."
65Enchanted Valley Chalet in the East Fork Quinault Valley1954
66Deer Park Ski Lodge1948
"No longer exists."
67Port Angeles Ski Club at Deer Park Ski Lodge1948
"No longer exists."
68"Sweet's Place" near Olympic National Park boundary in the Elwha Valley1956
"Inholding at ONP boundary in Elwha Valley, since acquired by the Park Service. Buildings [sic] no longer exists."
69Dosewallips Ranger Station1954
"No longer exists"
70Ludden Homestead in Elwha Valley1949
"Some remnants exist. He [Ludden] was a pioneer settler."
71Olympic Hotsprings in Elwha Valley1948
"No longer exists."
72Andrews' Ranch in the Queets Valley1948
"He [Andrews] was an early settler on the Queets River."
73Klootchman Rock as viewed from Andrews' Ranch1948
74-76Humes' Ranch in the Elwha Valley1949
"Grant Humes was a pioneer settler in the Elwha Valley. Humes Glacier on Mt. Olympus carries his name."
77Elkhorn Ranger Station in the Elwha Valley1949
78Elkhorn Ranger Station in the Elwha ValleyMarch 1949
79Olympus Guard Station in the Hoh River ValleyFebruary 1952
80Staircase Ranger Station in the Skokomish Valley1948
"Now gone, this building dates from the earliest days of government involvement in peninsula resources."
81North Fork Ranger Station in the North Fork Quinault Valley1955
82LaPoel Ranger Station near Lake Crescent1948
"Now gone."
83Hoh Ranger Station in the Hoh River Valley1949
"This extensive ranger station was originally built by the US Forest Service and named Jackson Ranger Station after the adjacent creek of that name. When the National Park Service inherited it, it was renamed after the river. Now gone and totally replaced with an extensive Park Service facility and campground."
84-85Kilea Ranger Station in the Queets Valley1948
"Originally built by the Forest Service. Now gone and replaced with a Park Service facility located at a different site. Kilea Creek was where the name came from."
86Graves Creek Ranger Station in the East Fork Quinault Valley1948
87Map: Forest Resources of the Pacific Coast Counties of Washingtonundated
88Map: Olympic National Forest Timber Stand Densityundated
89Map: U.S. Forest Service Olympic Timber Working Circles and Blocksundated
90Map: Winter Elk Range from Report on Mt. Olympus Elk by Ben H. Thompsonundated

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Bogachiel Guard Station

Photographer: Carsten Lien
The quotation accompanying these photographs is taken directly from Carsten Lien's notation about the images.
1/691Bogachiel Guard Station1982
"On the Bogachiel Trail at the intersection of the trail to the Calawha Valley. No longer in existence, this building was washed away by the wintertime flooding of the Bogachiel River."

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Logging in Olympic National Park
SLOP Committee Photographs of Logging in Olympic National Park
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from originals taken by the SLOP (Salvage Logging Olympic Park) Committee. The committee included the following groups: The Mountaineers, Sierra Club, Seattle Audubon Society, Olympic Park Associates, and the Federation of Western Outdoor Clubs. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
1/792Logging near La Poel Campground on Lake Crescent, September 15, 1956undated
"Nine foot diameter stump of a Douglas Fir felled near La Poel Campground on Lake Crescent. A 180 foot section was removed between the stump and the crown. Pat Goldworthy of Sierra Club in picture."
93Logging on the Bogachiel River near Mosquito Creek, September 16, 1956undated
"Backcountry logging on the Bogachiel showing loading of green Douglas Fir logs cut in forest adjacent to river opposite Mosquito Creek."
94Logging on the Bogachiel River near Mosquito Creek, September 16, 1956undated
"Note size of green Douglas Fir logs cut from the forest adjacent to log jam specified in the contract."
95Log loading area near the junction of the North and East Fork Quinault Rivers, September 16, 1956undated
Logged Areas in Olympic National Park
96-99Area on the Hoh River near the Hoh Ranger Station logged three or four years earlier1955

Photographer: Carsten Lien
100-101Logged area on the north shore of Lake CrescentSummer 1956

Photographer: Paul Shepard
102Logged area on Storm King Mountain as viewed from Barnes PeninsulaSummer 1956

Photographer: Paul Shepard
103Logged area near La Poel Ranger StationSummer 1956

Photographer: Paul Shepard
104-105Logged area on the North Shore of Lake CrescentSummer 1956

Photographer: Paul Shepard
National Park Service Defends Logging in Olympic National Park
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from a report written by Fred Overly (Olympic National Park Superintendent, 1952-1958) originally published in May 1957. Overly drafted his comments in response to an article about the ONP logging that appeared in the Winter 1956 edition of Living Wilderness.
1/8106Chief Forester Lawrence F. Cook surveys logging near the La Poel Ranger Stationundated
107Signs of ecological recovery from logging operations near riversundated
108-109Signs of ecological recovery on logging cat roadsundated
110-114Cut log drying out and becoming resistant to beetle infestation undated
115-116Trees cut to protect against undermining from the Bogachiel River undated
1/9117 Signs of ecological recovery from road construction on the Bogachiel Riverundated
118 Log jam on the Bogachiel River, June 28, 1956undated
119 Bogachiel River after logging removed the log jam shown in Item 118undated
120-121 Douglas Fir tree with rotten core and top logged to reduce risk of fireundated
122 Spruce tree with rotten topundated
Salvage Logging Operations
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from documents in National Archives Record Group 79.
1/10123Logging near the Hoh River Valley, 1956undated
124 Car belonging to Pat Goldworthy of the Sierra Club and SLOP Committee stalled crossing the Bogachiel River, 1956undated
125-126Logging near the La Poel Ranger Station, 1956undated
127Logging near the Hoh River Valley, 1956undated
128Log booms on Lake Mills in the Elwha River Valley, 1956undated
129-132 Trees in log jam, 1956undated
1/11133Large Douglas Fir tree, 1955 or 1956undated
134Logging bridge across the South Fork Hoh River, 1955 or 1956undated
135Logging on the Hoh River, 1955 or 1956undated
136-137Logging near Lake Crescent, 1955 or 1956undated
138-140Logging on Soleduck Road, 1956undated
1/12141Logging near Barnes Creek near Lake Crescent, 1956undated
142Logging near Olympic Hot Springs and Campground, 1956undated
143Logging near Olympic Hot Springs, 1956undated
144Log landing on the Lower Hoh River, 1956undated
145Logging near the Lower Hoh River, 1956undated
146-147Logging on Soleduck Road, 1956undated
148Log boom on Lake Mills in the Elwha River Valley, 1956undated
1498'7" Douglas Fir tree, 1955 or 1956undated
150Logging bridge across the Quinault River, 1955 or 1956undated
1/13151Logging on the Quinault River, 1955 or 1956undated
152Large Douglas Fir tree, 1955 or 1956undated
153Logging near the Lower Hoh River, 1956undated
154-155Logging near Olympic Hot Springs and Campground, 1956undated
156-157Logging near road to Olympic Hot Springs, 1956undated
158-160Logging on Soleduck Road, 1956undated

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Prominent individuals in the history of Olympic National Park

Photographer: Carsten Lien
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from original negatives and secondary sources containing images of prominent individuals in the history of Olympic National Park. Items 174-177 are original negatives taken by Carsten Lien. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
1/14161Dedication of Olympic National Park, 1946undated
162Harold Ickes, Secretary of the Interior (1933-1946)undated
163Newton B. Drury, NPS Director (1940-1951)undated
164Harold Ickes at the end of the Hoh River Road, 1938undated
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by O.A. Tomlinson.
165William B. Greeley, Chief Forester (1920-1928)undated
166Conrad Wirth, NPS Director (1951-1964)undated
167Rosalie Edge, Peter Edge, Preston Macy, Mrs. Preston Macy, and others on Hurricane Hill, Summer 1935.undated
168FDR visit to Port Angeles, Washington on September 30, 1934.undated
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by Bert Kellogg.
1/15169Preston P. Macy, Olympic National Park Superintendent (1968-1951)undated
170Newton B. Drury taking the Oath of Office as NPS Directorundated
171Associate Justice William O. Douglas views protestors near Ocean Strip inside Olympic National Park, July 1959undated
"William O. Douglas looks on at completion of hike down the beach of ONP Ocean Strip to protest Park Service's planned road down the length of the strip. Larry Venable of Port Angeles Chamber of Commerce confronts Justice Douglas with signs expressing the Chamber’s viewpoint."
172Fred Overly, Superintendent of Olympic National Park (1952-1958)undated
173William B. Greeley, Chief Forester (1920-1928)undated
174-177Levin Coe, Quinault, carving canoes three miles south of Queets Village1955

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Political cartoons related to Olympic National Park
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from regional and national publications and other secondary sources containing political cartoons related to extraction of natural resources from federally-owned property.
1/16178"Yosemite Leads," Oakland Tribune, November 2, 1929undated
179"The Monster that Controls this Property," The Washington Post, 1953undated
180"Resources Give Away," St. Paul Pioneer Press, 1909undated
181"Red Riding Hood and Escort Meet the Wolves," The Denver Post, December 8, 1952undated
182"Rapee Designate," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, December 30, 1980undated
183Cartoon discussing declining animal population in Mt. Rainier National Park, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, March 23, 1987undated
184Cartoon discussing oil industry development along coast in Olympic National Park, The Seattle Times, May 29, 1987undated
185"Rip Up Wilderness," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 21, 1987undated
186Cartoon regarding deforestation appearing on American Tree Association letterhead, 1927undated
187Cartoon regarding deforestation appearing in The New Yorker, ca. 1937undated
188Cartoon regarding logging in Olympic National Park, New York Herald Tribune, November 1, 1947undated

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Maps, newspaper articles, and advertisements related to Olympic National Park.
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from documents and secondary sources containing information about the history of Olympic National Park.
1/17189Map of "The Olympic Country" printed in National Geographic Magazine, April 1986undated
190Map of Olympic National Park by James Wickersham, 1890undated
191Emergency Conservation Committee Broadside on HR 10024, 1938undated
192Emergency Conservation Publication #63 - "Double Crossing Mount Olympus National Park," 1937undated
193Emergency Conservation Committee publication regarding proposed Olympic National Park boundaries, 1934undated
194Front page of Port Angeles Evening News on October 1, 1937 regarding FDR visit to the Olympic Peninsulaundated
195Chamber of Commerce advertisement in the Port Angeles Evening News, June 30, 1943undated
196-197Rayonier advertisement regarding development in Olympic National Park, December, 1954undated
1/18198Map of Olympic National Park, 1947undated
199-200Map of the Olympic Mountains by W.G. Steel, 1890undated
201Page from The Daily Olympian discussing Olympic National Park boundaries, July 20, 1943undated
202Olympic Peninsula Transition Zone Forest Map, ca. 1954undated
1947 National Park Service Boundary Reduction Proposal
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from a report published by the National Park Service in 1947 proposing boundary reductions in Olympic National Park. The photographs show aerial views of Olympic National Park, and the images also contain annotations that identify geographic landmarks and proposed NPS boundary changes. Photographer Lowell Sumner took the original photographs used in the NPS report. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
203Aerial view looking South, March 1947undated
"Proposed boundary would follow ridge crest between Bogachiel and Calawah Rivers, eliminating the Calawah Valley from the Park."
204Aerial view looking North, March 1947undated
"View looking north across Bogachiel River showing areas National Park Service proposes to relinquish."
205Aerial view looking West, March 1947undated
"Proposed new ridge boundary at divide between head of Sams Rivers and Finley Creek."

 
Box/Folder Item Date
1889-1890 Expeditions to the Olympic Peninsula
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives primarily from an issue of The Seattle Press originally published on July 16, 1890. This issue of The Seattle Press provides a detailed narrative of the "Press Expedition" - a small group of explorers sent into the Olympic Mountains by the newspaper to research and document the topography, flora, and fauna of the area. The Press Expedition left Seattle, WA on December 8, 1889 and headed for Port Angeles, WA, where they completed final preparations for a wintertime exploration of the Olympic Mountains. On January 13, 1890, the party began its ascent up the Elwha River into the Mountains, and they reached Aberdeen, WA on May 21, 1890. The party returned to Seattle, WA on May 23, 1890 to hearty congratulations for their in-depth exploration of the Olympic Mountains and surrounding areas.
The July 16, 1890 issue of The Seattle Press also includes a narrative of the Conrad-Olmstead Exploration, a party that visited the Olympic Mountains from June 16-July 8, 1890.
1/19206Return of the Press Expedition members, 1890undated
207-219Pages 1-14 of the Press Expedition Report printed in The Seattle Press, July 16, 1890undated

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Mount Rainier National Park
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from original negatives related to development in Mt. Rainier National Park.
½0220Road Development Plan for Paradise Valley, October 1927undated
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by O.A. Tomlinson.
221-223Bungalow Tents at Paradise Inn, 1917undated
Lien made these copy negatives from original photographs taken by Asahel Curtis.
224Automobiles parked on meadow at Paradise Valley, 1917undated
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by Asahel Curtis.
225Sunrise Lodge, August 24, 1932undated
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by Asahel Curtis.

 
Box/Folder Item Date
Emergency Conservation Committee members

Photographer: Carsten Lien
The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
½1226Rosalie Edge, Emergency Conservation Committee ChairJuly 1959
227Willard G. Van Name, Emergency Conservation Committee Founderundated
"He was the leading American environmentalist in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s."
228Irving Brant, Emergency Conservation Committee Memberundated
"Journalist and FDR confidant on environmental issues. One of the three participating members of the ECC."

Subject Terms

Personal Names:
Curtis, Asahel, 1874-1941, photographer.
Lien, Carsten, photographer.
Organizations:
Emergency Conservation Committee (U.S.)--Officials and employees--Photographs.
United States. National Park Service--Officials and employees--Photographs.
Geographic Names:
Olympic National Forest (Wash.)--History--Research.
Olympic National Park (Wash.)--History--Research.
Olympic National Park (Wash.)--Photographs.
Subjects:
Logging--Washington (State)--Olympic National Forest--Photographs.
National parks and reserves--Washington (State)--Olympic National Park--Photographs.
Genre Headings:
Negatives.
Photographic prints.
Slides.
Last modified: December 9, 2014
Contact Us