Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

Saint Paul's Episcopal Cathedral #2, Los Angeles, CA

ID: 1013
Construction Date: Start Date: 1924
End Date: 1925
Notes: Demolition Note: A permit to raze was granted in 08/1971; building was still standing as of 06/09/1979, when it was for sale or lease.
Building History: In May 1921, the Saint Paul's Episcopal church traded its property on Olive Street south of Fifth Street for two lots on Figueroa Street between Sixth Street and Orange Street. Presumably, this trade occurred with the developer of the Biltmore Hotel in Downtown, Los Angeles, CA. In addition, the church received $300,000 for the construction of a new facility. Architect Reginald Johnson's father, Joseph Horsfall Johnson, was the first Episcopal Bishop of Los Angeles serving from 1896-1928. Through this connection, Reginald received many commissions for Episcopalian churches in the 1920s.
Structure Type: built works - religious structures - cathedrals
Locations: Structure:
615 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA
USA
map latlong or map of street number