Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

Barrett, Mr. and Mrs. Frank J., House, Laurelhurst, Seattle, WA

ID: 12880
Construction Date: Start Date: 1936
End Date: 1937
Notes: Thiry designed the basement to have concrete walls and floor; the first floor was supported by prefabricated concrete beams and a concrete slab. The second floor walls, floor and ceiling were all constructed of timber framing. Plaster covered interior walls. As was typical of many 1930s houses, concrete block was used extensively, particularly around the front door. Thiry and Shay designed a copper front door which patinated to a blue-green. Stucco clad the exterior walls, with trim painted a blue-green to complement the front door. The house contained 3 bedrooms plus maid's quarters and occupied a 7,575 sq. ft. (0.17 acres) lot. The Barrett House contained, in 2009, 3,090 square feet.
Alteration Note: Outdoor rooftop decks were enclosed at some point.
Building History: Thiry and Shay designed this hillside house for Frank Barrett, the local manager of the Portland Cement Association, his wife, their daughter, 2 sons and a live-in servant. The architects oriented the dwelling to take advantage of panoramic views of Lake Washington and the Cascade Mountains. Because of his connection to the cement manufacturer's association, the house was viewed as something of a model home for the industry. Thiry took advantage of his client's connections to design the house with more reinforced concrete than ever before in his work. The Barrett House was widely illustrated in periodicals of the late 1930s, one of the best-illustrated Seattle houses of the time.
Assessor Number: King County 6613000620
Structure Size: Total Square Feet: 3090
Number of Floors: 2
Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses
Locations: Structure:
4350 53rd Avenue NE
Seattle, WA
USA
map latlong or map of street number