Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

State of Washington, State Library, Capitol Mall, Olympia, WA

ID: 14965
Alt. Name: State of Washington, Pritchard, Joel M., Building, Capitol Mall, Olympia, WA
Construction Date: End Date: 1958
Notes: Alteration Note: Following the Nisqually Earthquake of 02/28/2001, the neighboring Legislative Building had to be emptied for structural reasons. The library served as a legislative office building and a meeting chamber for the state politicians. A cafeteria was also added at this time. The library and its materials was moved to an office building in Tumwater, WA. In 2006, the SRG Partnership proposed a new organization scheme for the building, some aspects of which compromised Thiry's original design. SRG sought to remove some portions of the original library and to make a large addition.
Building History: Architect Paul Thiry followed the site plan for the Capitol Mall done by Wilder and White in 1912; he placed his library on axis with the Beaux-Arts Capitol Building and also conformed to the existing heights and symmetry of preceding buildings. He used a decidedly Modern vocabulary, creating a templar design with a flat roof and no ornamentation. Otto Holmdahl worked on the State Library as Landscape Architect; William Teeter acted as the Interior Design Consultant; Peter H. Hostmark was the Structural Engineer and Beverly A. Travis and Associates, the Electrical Engineer. Lloyd Johnson-Morrison Knudsen Company partnered as Building Contractors. The library originally contained sculptures by Everett Du Pen, a sculptural sundial (in the plaza in front) by John W. Elliott, a Northwest-themed mural (in the Washington Room) by Kenneth Callahan, an abstract mosaic (behind the main desk) by James Fitzgerald and a large canvas (in the library staff offices) by Mark Tobey.
Structure Type: built works - social and civic buildings - libraries
Locations: Structure:
Olympia, WA
USA