Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

McDonald, Charles H., Sr., House, Seattle, WA

ID: 15767
Construction Date: End Date: 1946
Notes: Seattle architect Victor Steinbrueck (1911-1985) included the McDonald House in a guidebook of Seattle's Modern architecture written in 1953; he wrote it for visiting members of the American Institute of Architect's annual convention in Seattle that year. Of it, he stated: "On a sixty foot city lot, Paul Thiry has planned a distinctive home with considerable privacy for the occupants. The living room windows are high enough above the street for privacy and yest afford an excellent view of Lake Washington. A pleasant sunny garden patio enclosed on three sides is the real core of this home and affords pleasant outdoor living because of its southern exposure and protection from breezes. The patio also adds a spaciousness to the rooms surrounding it. This is one of many modern homes by this architect who has achieved international recognition for his work." (See Victor Steinbrueck, Guide to Seattle Architecture 1850-1953, [New York: Reinhold Publishing Corporation, 1953], p. 30.)
Demolition Note: Demolished; a demolition permit was issued on 04/28/2008.
Building History: Charles H. McDonald, Sr., was President of the Savage Lumber and Manufacturing Company of Seattle, WA. In addition to his house, McDonald commissioned architect Paul Thiry to design for Savage a one-story warehouse and a two-story millwork prefabrication plant in the South Lake Union Neighborhood of Seattle, WA, in 1946.
Structure Size: Number of Floors: 1
Demolition Date: 2008-04-28
Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses
Locations: Structure:
1217 39th Avenue East
Seattle, WA
USA
map latlong or map of street number