Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

1000 Fulton Mall Building, Owl Drug Store, Fulton Street and Tulare Street, Fresno, CA

ID: 16256
Construction Date: End Date: 1917
Building History: According to Paula Lloyd of the Fresno Bee, this branch of the San Francisco, CA-based Owl Drug Company, occupied the first floor of this Mission Revival Style commercial block from around 1917-1951. A Long's Drug Store replaced Owl at this location on the northwest corner of Fulton Street and Tulare Street. Previously, a grocery store run by Hans Graff operated here from 1889-1917. (See Paula Lloyd "Owl Drug had two downtown Fresno locations," Fresno Bee, 12/05/2010, <http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/12/05/2186620/owl-drug-had-two-downtown-fresno.html> Accessed 03/08/2011.) In later years this storefront became the Los Panchos Mexican Restaurant.
Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - stores
Locations: Structure:
1000 Fulton Mall
Fresno, CA
USA
map latlong or map of street number

Portrait of Edgar Horwood, c. 1975; from URISA.org