Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

Seattle 1st National Bank, Incorporated, Headquarters Building #2, Downtown, Seattle, WA

ID: 4265
Alt. Name: Seafirst Corporation, Main Bank Offices #2, Seattle, WA
1001 Fourth Avenue Plaza, Seattle, WA
Construction Date: Start Date: 1966
End Date: 1969
Notes: Seattle 1st National Bank's 50-story building contained 750,000 square feet, one of the largest office buildings erected during the 1960s-1970s in Seattle, WA. When built, this starkly rectangular, Miesian high-rise, stood 609 feet tall, and was mockingly referred to as the "box in which the Space Needle came." The Pacific Car and Foundry Company produced the steel and erected the frame of this Seattle 1st National Bank. The same company was responsible for building the steel armature for the Seattle Space Needle in 1961-1962.
Building History: Donald Winkelmann, who joined NBBJ in 1961, served as the lead designer of the Seattle First National Bank Headquarters #2. Winkelmann also had designed Cordiner Hall, Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA, in 1967, and Plymouth Congregational Church, Seattle, WA, in 1968. Pietro Belluschi acted as Consulting Architect; this building, occupying a full city block (750,000 square feet) and rising 50 stories, stood as the tallest structure in the city until the 1980s; the plaza in front of the bank building received a Henry Moore sculpture, 'Vertebrae,' c. 1969; at the time of its opening, Mirabeau, a French restaurant, operated on the top floor.
Structure Size: Total Square Feet: 750000
Number of Floors: 50
Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - banks (buildings)
built works - commercial buildings - corporate headquarters
built works - commercial buildings - office buildings
Locations: Structure:
1001 4th Avenue
Seattle, WA
USA
map latlong or map of street number