Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

Arcade Building #2, Downtown, Seattle, WA

ID: 4492
Construction Date: Start Date: 1901
End Date: 1903
Notes: Built in 1901-1903, this building, with its extensions, occupied all of the 2nd Avenue Street frontage between Union Street and Seneca Street. It stood on the northwest corner of 2nd Avenue and Seneca Street and southwest corner of 2nd Avenue and University Street. In 08/1905, E.N. Brooks and Company, hatters and men's clothiers, occupied space at 1331 2nd Avenue.
Demolition Note: Demolished;
Alteration Note: The Arcade Building had an addition made c. 1913; it was referred to as the "Arcade Building Extension."
Building History: The Seattle Symphony debuted in Christiansen Hall, a concert hall within the Arcade Building on 12/29/1903; in 1905, Shafer Brothers, Outfitters for Men, the Pianola, C.W. Herald and Webster and Stevens rented space in the Arcade Building. In 1913, the following retail stores occupied space there: Rhodes Department Store; Shafer Brothers; S.P. Charlton and Company, 5-10 and 15 Cent Store; Eggert Shoe Company; Brooks Haberdashers; the Bon Marche Department Store. A Pearl Electronics Store operated in the Arcade Building in the 1960s.
Structure Size: Number of Floors: 4
Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings
Locations: Structure:
Seattle, WA
USA
map latlong or map of street number

Exterior view of the Arcade Building, Seattle, WA, c. 1904; from Wikimedia Commons; photo from the Polk's Seattle City Directory, 1905, p. 28