Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

Federal Works Agency (FWA), Division of Defense Public Works (DDPW), Holly Park Defense Housing, Seattle, WA

ID: 5220
Alt. Name: Seattle Housing Authority, Holly Park Housing, Seattle, WA
Construction Date: Start Date: 1942
End Date: 1943
Notes: Demolition Note: Demolished. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) granted the SHA a $47.1 million grant in 1995 to tear down the remaining 871 residences composing Holly Park and build a new public housing area. It was replaced by NewHolly, a 1,400-unit housing tract, "...the first new neighborhood in Seattle in 50 years," according to the Seattle Housing Authority. (See <http://www.seattlehousing.org/redevelopment/newholly/> Accessed 11/10/2010.)
Building History: This 124-acre project containing about 900 residences, housed defense workers building aircraft at nearby Boeing Field; it was originally built for the Federal Works Agency (FWA), FDR's catchall agency created in 1939 to administer jobs and housing for the unemployed. Following the passage of the Lanham Act of 10/14/1940, FWA also had the authority to build housing for workers employed in necessary defense industries. Administration of Holly Park transferred from the Federal Works Agency (and its descendants) to the Seattle Housing Authority (SHA) in 1953. SHA operated it, like Yesler Terrace, as public housing for citizens of Seattle. Jones, Ahlson and Thiry, Associated Architects worked on the site plan and individual units; Sturtevant and Grohs, Landscape Architects also contributed to the site plan and created the landscape schemes; Lincoln Boullion was the Electrical and Mechanical Engineer; Melvin O. Sylliaasen served as the Civil and Structural Engineer; Western Construction was the General Contractor.
Structure Type: built works - dwellings - housing - affordable housing
Locations: Structure:
Seattle, WA
USA