Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

Pantages Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA

ID: 6048
Alt. Name: Palomar Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA
Construction Date: Start Date: 1914
End Date: 1915
Notes: The Seattle architect J. Lister Holmes operated his office in the Pantages Building between 1923-1925, rooms 507 and 509; the designer of the Pantages Building, B. Marcus Priteca, operated his architectural office here from 1915-1964.
Demolition Note: Demolished in 1965; it was torn down to build a parking lot.
Building History: Alexander Pantages started his vaudeville theatre empire in 1902 in Seattle, WA. Frequently, developers of the 1910s-1920s would maximize profits from city lots by building office/retail blocks adjoining theatre properties. (This was true of Pantages in many locations, such as the Tacoma Pantages Theatre #2 [1917-1918]). The Pantages Theatre chain occupied many offices in the adjoining 6-story office block fronting 3rd Avenue, using it as a headquarters for the organization. Alexander Pantages applied to the City of Seattle for a building permit to erect his $750,000 theatre and office building on 04/05/1914. (See "Seattle and State Advance During Year 1914," Seattle Times, 01/03/1915, p. 24.)
Structure Size: Number of Floors: 6
Demolition Date: 1965-01-01
Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings
Locations: Structure:
Seattle , WA
USA