Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

County of Alameda, Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA

ID: 7179
Alt. Name: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA
Oracle Arena, Oakland, CA
Construction Date: Start Date: 1964
End Date: 1966
Notes: At the time of its construction, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena possessed one of the largest cable-supported roofs in the world. Tel: (510) 569-2121 (2009);
Alteration Note: The Coliseum Arena was renovated in 1997, when the interior of the previous building was gutted and a new spectator bowl constructed with 72 luxury suites added to the facility.
Building History: Financed by a 1964 Alameda County bond measure, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum and the Coliseum Arena occupied 120 acres of costly land, zoned for mixed residential and industrial uses. The facilities cost approximately $25.5 million to build between 1964-1966. The California Seals National Hockey League team played its first game in the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, 11/08/1966. Begun in 1946, the Philadelphia Warriors National Basketball team moved to San Francisco in 1962, and then to the Coliseum Arena in 1971. The arena seated 17,000 for hockey, 19,200 for basketball. An exhibit hall stands between the Coliseum and the Coliseum Arena. On 10/20/2006, the NBA franchise Golden State Warriors and the Oakland-Alameda County Authority sold the naming rights to the Arena to the Redwood Shores, CA-based Oracle Corporation; from that point on, the building was popularly referred to as the "O."
Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures - arenas
Locations: Structure:
7000 Coliseum Way
Oakland, CA
USA
map latlong or map of street number
Websites: Portfolio (1196)