Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

City of Seattle, Public Library (SPL), Northeast Branch, Seattle, WA

ID: 8044
Construction Date: Start Date: 1953
End Date: 1954
Notes: Architect Paul Thiry won a national Honor Award from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in 1954.
Alteration Note: The original 7,042 square-foot branch was enlarged and equipment upgraded by architects, The Miller/Hull Partnership beginning on 04/19/2003; they added a 7,958 square-foot addition and the branch reopened on 06/26/2004. The total expenditure was $4,881,076. Graham Contracting Ltd. served as the General Contractors on the enlargement project.
Building History: Responding to a large influx of people into Seattle, during World War II, the Seattle Public Library expanded its service; a deposit station was added in the northeast portion of the city in 12/1945. This was one of three new branches begun using city funds in 1953-1954.
Structure Size: Total Square Feet: 7042
Number of Floors: 1
Structure Type: built works - social and civic buildings - libraries
Locations: Structure:
6801 35th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA
USA
map latlong or map of street number