Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD)

Structures

Saint Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, Capitol Hill, Seattle, WA

ID: 8197
Construction Date: Start Date: 1926
End Date: 1930
Notes: According to architectural historian (and minister) Dennis Andersen, Edouard Frere Champney, who once lived in Seattle, represented the San Francisco architects, Bakewell and Brown, as the supervisor during the early phases of construction at the cathedral. (See Dennis A. Andersen, "Edouard Frere Champney," in Shaping Seattle Architecture, Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., [Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press, 1994], p. 136.) Champney died in 1929, before the church's completion.
Alteration Note: The west end of the church was altered in 1958 to connect the cathedral with the a cathedral house, completed in 1959. This house contained Bloedell Hall, a church school, parish administrative offices and meeting rooms. Portions of the east well were demolished to enable a narthex to be built housing portions of the church organ. The parish constructed a free-standing altar in the sanctuary in 1967.
Building History: This church was not built as it was originally planned by the noted San Francisco architectural firm of Bakewell and Brown. They planned the Cathedral in 1926, and construction work began in 1928. By 1931, money for the church had evaporated, and the Episcopal community scrambled to assemble financing between 1931-1941. Saint Louis bankers foreclosed on the building's mortgage in 1941, and thereafter, it remained closed from 1941-1943. The U.S. Army leased it from 1943-1945 for use by its Artillery. Fund-raising by the Episcopal congregation succeeded in mid-1940s, and the mortgage was paid off in 1947.
Structure Type: built works - religious structures - cathedrals
built works - religious structures - churches
Locations: Structure:
Seattle, WA
USA