A Greek temple in French Prairie: the William Case House, French Prairie, Oregon, 1858-59
MetadataShow full item record
A Greek Temple in French Prairie: The William Case House, French Prairie, Oregon, 1858-59 chronicles a remarkable settlement-era Classical Revival farmhouse in Oregon's Willamette Valley. The house was built in 1859 as the headquarters of a busy and productive farming operation founded by William Case. The house is known for its distinctive peripteral colonnade and its red exterior. Hildebrand and Sutermeister were drawn to their project after a first visit to the present occupants and restorers of the house, fellow Chapter members Wallace Huntington and Mirza Dickel. Over a period of several years the authors visited their friends and conducted research aimed at more completely documenting the character of the farmhouse both in its historic period and as restored and enhanced by gardens.